When thinking about what is really the draw to Italy for a honeymoon, I found a list of top 10 rated cities in Italy according to TripAdvisor. I believe these are some great options for a romantic honeymoon of a lifetime.
10) PORTOFINO is a high-end fishing community with colorful architecture going up the side of the hill. It is charming and great for many strolls along the waterfront and lovely photo-ops. Portofino is in Northern Italy and close to Genoa.
9) TERRACINA is a beach-goer’s delight. It is a costal town with white sand beaches and blue waters and combines ancient with new architecture and features the Temple of Jupiter. Terracina is approximately 100 miles from Rome and an easy train ride to the beach.
8) TIVOLI is a hillside town featuring gorgeous lush gardens, thermal springs and premier pools. The city features famous hotels residences such as Villa Adriana. If Italian gardens are your interest, Tivoli is an easy 20 miles northeast of Rome.
7) SORRENTO… Shopping, Sights and EATING! Sorrento is world famous costal town in Southwest Italy for earthenware and pottery. It faces the bay of Naples and is home of the Piazza Tasso, a café lined square.
6) TUSCANY. Imagine renting a red Porsche convertible and enjoying the Italian countryside. There is the Leaning Tower of Piza, The architecture of Florence where the David resides, and the coast is known for scuba diving and windsurfing. There is also world famous fashion houses, wineries and the food is world famous.
5) PIEDMONT is a primer area that in the northernmost part of Italy, sharing a border with France and Switzerland. In fact, there are alps on 3 sides of Lake Maggore in Piedmont so the views are stunning. Piedmont is also the home of 170,000 acres of vineyards and known for it’s spas.
4) CINQUE TERRE is built up the side of a cliff so being able to walk steps is a must. It is a charming, quiet city with no cars and is famous for its bakery in the center of town that wafts the fragrance of fresh focaccia bread and is also famous for world famous pesto.
3) THE AMALFI COAST is a UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITE that starts south of Naples and includes the beach cities of Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi and Salerno. This is another area to drive your red Porsche along the coastline for catching beaches, fabulous sunsets and vineyards.
2) ROME. Aah Rome. Where every travel photo depicts its lovely ancient ruins, inter-city markets, churches, café’s and world-class shops. Rome is capital and the heartbeat of Italy.
1) AND THE WINNER IS… VENICE! The charming city made famous by water canals (No roads) and gondolas. From buying chocolate or gelato at Marco Palace buying jewelry on the Rialto Bridge, Venice has the delicious decadence of a city where all of your senses come alive.