Solo Travel for Special Interest Hobbyist
Do you have a hobby that’s really important to you? Are you a passionate golfer, bird-watcher, photographer, wine enthusiast, cook or art collector? There are cruises and tours worldwide that bring people with special interests together to pursue their favorite activities. How much fun it would be to be surrounded by new friends that share your enthusiasm for your favorite pastime! Following are a few examples of cruises and tours that fill the bill for the special interest hobbyist.
Avalon Waterways offers themed river cruises throughout Europe. This small ship, luxury cruise line boasts all outside staterooms, excellent tour guides and superior service as well as specialty cruises that appeal to a wide variety of hobbyists.
- Cruises for wine lovers include cruising the Danube River from Vilshofen, Germany through Austria to Budapest, Hungary. Or cruise the Rhone and Saone Rivers in France from Arles to Chalon-sur-Saone. Cruises on the Rhine and Moselle Rivers transport you from Amsterdam to Luxembourg City. Each cruise includes visits to unique vineyards, tastings and tours, and the expertise of your knowledgeable tour guide as you enjoy exploring old world villages and spectacular scenery all along the route.
- Garden and nature cruises in Holland and Belgium include visits to “the Garden of Europe,” the Keukenhof Garden in Rotterdam as well as the spectacular tulip fields surrounding Amsterdam and the ancient city of Antwerp, Belgium, with its iconic Flemish architecture and history of lace making and diamond merchants.
- If you’re an avid “foodie,” a culinary cruise is a great way to experience some of Europe’s traditional delicacies. How about a ten day cruise on the scenic Danube, taking in some of the best local specialities in the Czech Republic, Germany, Austria, Slovakia and Hungary? (The wine and beer in these countries is just as famous as the food, so you’ll be covering all the bases!) Your trip begins with two nights in Prague with sightseeing tours of this historic city including the Astronomical Clock and Hradcany Castle. Visit the medieval city of Regensburg, Germany on the way to Vilshofen where you’ll meet your ship for the rest of the journey. Hike along the Ilz River in historic Passau, followed by a stroll down Artist’s Alley and some refreshment at a local biergarten. In Linz, Austria don’t miss the germknodel dumplings and the krautspaetzel. Attend a Royal Waltz Concert in Vienna followed by a tasting of traditional Hungarian goulash prepared by the ship’s head chef. Visit Bratislava, Slovakia on the way to Budapest with its charming cafes and pubs serving traditional langos (garlicky flatbread) and toltott kaptoszta (stuffed cabbage rolls). Have a sweet tooth? Dobos Torta is a chocolate – caramel – walnut lover’s dream come true!
Other Avalon specialty cruises include:
- Photography cruises in the Netherlands, Germany and France, conducted by a professional photographer.
- Christmas cruises in Germany, Austria, France and Switzerland, taking you through centuries old villages decorated for the season, featuring musical concerts, religious celebrations, and (of course) traditional holiday treats!
Special Interest Tours offers tours in Alaska that include excursions to view the Northern Lights, dog sled rides, a planetarium show narrated by a professional astronomer and a sunset Sno-Cat ride to the Cheney Hot Springs.
Insight Vacations offers garden tours in England and Switzerland, Oktoberfest tours in Germany and Austria, and art lovers tours of Italy, France, and the Netherlands.
By now you probably realize that no matter what your passion, there’s a cruise or tour that will help you experience it in the company of other fanatics just like you! Call Travel Leaders and make your niche vacation dream a reality!