Advice for Couples Considering a Destination Wedding
Here are 5 things to consider while booking your wedding
- See the venue in person. Investing the time and money into a pre-planning visit to the destination is so helpful! If you have the time, try to plan a trip to your destination to meet with the resort and vendors in person. It’s so nice to put a face with a name. You can email for months, but it’s nice to discuss these details in person. It’s also helpful to visualize your wedding plans in person. You can see photos ahead of time, but it’s just not the same as being there in person to make those decisions
- Arrive Early. Plan to arrive a few days before your guests do. This will give you the extra time to get organized, make up gift bags, finalize your wedding arrangements and take a breather before the family and friends start to arrive. It’s also fun to be the one greeting your guests as each of them arrive in from their airport transfer to the resort.
- Stay Late. Just like a pre-arrival, carve out a few extra days at the end of the trip for a little relaxation time. Entertaining family and friends can be exhausting, and you deserve the alone time with your new spouse!
- You won’t necessarily save money. I think there is a pretty big misconception that if you host a wedding in a ‘cheaper’ location like Mexico, that this will save you money. The truth is, even with a small wedding party, or an intimate ceremony, you will likely end up paying out more on this weekend’s worth of events, since all of your guests will be traveling in from out of town.
- Hire a pro. Make sure to find a travel consultant that specializes in destination weddings. This way, instead of spending hours on the phone trying to make calls and overcome language barriers or keeping track of all your guests and their 10,000 questions regarding the size of their checked bag and can they bring their medication in their purse on the flight, type questions, you can turn this over to your professional travel consultant for guidance and assistance.
The following two tabs change content below.
Leisure Travel Specialist at Travel Leaders (River Falls Office)
I specialize in travel to: Aruba, Barbados, Destination Weddings/Honeymoons, Disney (All products) and the Dominican Republic. Learn more about me and view my contact information►